SYNOPSIS: Will a computer ever be more creative than a human? In this compelling program, artists, musicians, neuroscientists, and computer scientists explore the future of artistry and imagination in the age of artificial intelligence.
PARTICIPANTS: Sougwen Chung, Jesse Engel, Peter Ulric Tse, Lav Varshney
MODERATOR: John Schaefer
WATCH THE TRAILER: https://youtu.be/O6t7I_iVim8
WATCH THE LIVE Q&A W/JESSE ENGEL: https://youtu.be/UXyMiSURQ7Y
FULL DESCRIPTION: Today, there are robots that make art, move like dancers, tell stories, and even help human chefs devise unique recipes. But is there ingenuity in silico? Can computers be creative? A rare treat for the senses, this thought-provoking event brings together artists and computer scientists who are creating original works with the help of artificially intelligent machines. Joined by leading experts in psychology and neuroscience, they’ll explore the roots of creativity in humans and computers, what artificial creativity reveals about human imagination, and the future of hybrid systems that build on the capabilities of both.
MORE INFO ABOUT THE PROGRAM AND PARTICIPANTS: https://www.worldsciencefestival.com/programs/computational-creativity/
This program is part of the Big Ideas Series, made possible with support from the John Templeton Foundation.
– Subscribe to our YouTube Channel for all the latest from WSF
– Visit our Website: http://www.worldsciencefestival.com/
– Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/worldsciencefestival/
– Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/WorldSciFest
– AI and the Art of Ingenuity 00:06
– Participant Introductions 02:51
– What are the pros and cons of AI creativity? 4:27
– Where did computational creativity start? 9:32
– What is the attraction to combining technology and art? 12:52
– Demonstrating machine learning. 21:27
– Taking known components and creating new things from them. 31:21
– Are there limits to human creativity? 38:30
– Creating more complex tools. 44:00
– Who owns the AI art? 50:13
This program was recorded live on 5/31/17 and has been edited and condensed for our YouTube channel. Watch the original full livestream here: https://youtu.be/IDfbjAxAqDo